January 16, 2014

Panic kitchen: How to make Japanese soft boiled egg

20140115-午後054227.jpg

Ever wonder how the soft boiled egg that comes along with a bowl of Japanee ramen is made? Them smooth and silky egg white with sweet and savoury runny egg yolk inside... It goes along with basically everything and 10 out of 10 people will go cray cray upon seeing the egg. I even squeaked a little when I saw the egg packed in a in 7-11 Japan. Yup. They sell this kind of stuff in the convenient store. Food technology + business brain = amaze-balls.

Be amazed. *proud to be a Food Scientist*
(Source: http://dearangeloffood.wordpress.com/)
Well anyway, the mystery of the yummylicious egg is solved thanks to the Internet. It only involves several steps and takes less than 30 minutes to complete. I had 3 attempts before getting the almost perfect egg. You'll see why.

1. First, boil a pot of water. Make sure the water is sufficient to cover 2/3 of the egg.
2. Put the egg into the water once the water is boiled. It is crucial that the egg is to be in room temperature so if you normally keep the eggs in the fridge as I do you'll have to take it out in prior for "thawing" or else...


20140115-午後054236.jpg
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Your egg will start squirting wtf. No kidding. It happened to mine (1st attempt). The egg shell cracked. I guess it has something to do with thermal expansion.

3. Leave the egg in the boiling water for 6 minutes. Remember to move the egg around in the water from time to time.
4. While waiting, prepare a bowl of ice water. Transfer the egg from the pot to the ice water when the time is up. Leave the egg in the ice water for at least 10 minutes.

According to some blogs, apparently 6 minutes is the "golden minute" as shorter or longer than that will result in a half boiled completely-watery egg or a hard boiled egg.
For the 2nd attempt, I forgot to time after I put the egg into the boiling water so I guess I took it out too soon (5 minutes?) and hence getting a half boiled egg. .__.

20140115-午後054254.jpg
My exposed egg white. 囧
20140115-午後054301.jpg
A closer look.
5. After 10 minutes, remove the shell and cut the egg into half.

Voila! Behold! My soft boiled egg after 3 attempts!

20140115-午後054308.jpg
*touched* T____T
Ok perhaps the egg yolk is not as runny as you think but hey I swear the yolk was runny irl!


I'll get it right the next time anyhow!

Note: This is just a plain soft boiled egg (hanjuku tamago). To achieve the flavourful egg that we normally have with ramen (ajitsuke tamago/nitamago), additional steps must be taken to marinate the egg. Perhaps I'll talk about it in the future if I ever had the chance to as the ingredients are not easy to get. :/ Till the next time! x

No comments:

Post a Comment