September 13, 2014

Doing the right thing..?

All my life, I always find myself to be stuck in a fairly small community. Ever since I have graduated from my high school, it seems like no matter what you do, you just can't escape from the very same community. Even though high school is so behind my back and we're not seeing everyone anymore, I always find that we are still very close and we keep each other's life up-to-date.

People always say what's in the past is in the past. SO not true. From where I come from, past haunts you forever. People will always remember what you did and your glorious history will be mentioned from time to time. And your image in everyone's mind will tend to remain the same for a very very long time even though you have made some changes successfully.
ie. A high school reunion gathering - "Remember her? Remember what she did last time?"

True story. It might sounds rather pathetic, but it is actually a very good moral guidance for me whenever I'm about to make a big decision, even though it is also true that you shouldn't let people's thoughts to bother you. But sometimes, what you think might be a right decision, might not actually be the best decision. And sometimes, people's judmental thoughts are actually right.

What will people think of me? Will people point fingers and talk about me behind my back? It prevents you from making a rash decision, you know what I'm saying? Like becoming the other woman, 'cuz trust me, that will haunt you for life. And you'll always become one of the after-meal topics in a reunion dinner. "Remember what she did?" Trust me. Been there done that.

What I'm trying to say is that, it's okay to follow your heart, or whatever hipster advice or excuse you told yourself (ie. YOLO, live without regret etc.), but you have to know, following your heart is overrated. And it's usually not the right thing to do. If everyone lives by the code follow your heart 'cus you only live once!, this world we live in would be so full of disasters. Imagine killers murdering people on streets and they can't be arrested because they are simply following their hearts. Or people peeing on the streets just because. You know what I'm trying to say?

Sometimes people just seem to forget that life is like a huge portfolio and what one did, no matter good or bad, benign or in purpose, contributes to one's portfolio. You can run away from your past and have a fresh start over in a new city, but people will not forget. Your past will always come back and kick you in the ass. (I mean, look at Serena from Gossip Girls? Best example or what?)

Just my two cents. *shrugs*
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment